Is HUD approval required when a dwelling is being temporarily moved from the site?

When a temporary move becomes necessary, the Mortgagee may consult the National Servicing Center (NSC) via the Extensions And Variances Automated Requests System (EVARS) before the move, for written assurance that the mortgage insurance will not be affected adversely during the move. All damages to the Structure before, during, or after the relocation have been or will be repaired without cost to HUD.
Within 30 Days of the completion of the temporary relocation, the Mortgagee must submit written notification to the NSC via EVARS, advising that the temporary relocation has been completed. This notification must include the following:

  • the FHA case number of the mortgaged Property;
  • the address and legal description of the lot of the improvement’s previous location and the address and legal description of the new temporary lot; and
  • a statement that:
    • the move to the temporary lot has been accomplished; and
    • any damage caused by the temporary move has been or will be repaired at no cost to HUD.

The Mortgagee must retain in the servicing file a copy of the notification to HUD of completed temporary relocation.

Additional questions may be directed to the HUD National Servicing Center at (877) 622-8525.

For policy information see Handbook 4000.1, Section III.A.1.j.iv.(B) at

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-05244