May Mortgagees charge borrowers the cost of the trustee fee and/or the recording fee for satisfaction of an FHA mortgage?

If specifically provided for in the security instrument, the Mortgagee may charge the Borrower the amount of the trustee’s fee, plus any reasonable and customary fee for payment, or for the execution of a satisfaction, release or trustee's deed when the debt is paid in full.
The Mortgagee may charge the Borrower a reasonable and customary fee for recording satisfactions in states where recordation is not the responsibility of the Mortgagee.

Additional questions may be directed to the HUD National Servicing Center at (877) 622-8525.
For policy information see Handbook 4000.1 III.A.1.e.v.(D)-(E) at

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-05220