- The appraisal must be valid on the date of the foreclosure sale. The validity period for appraisals is 120 days.
- HUD provides an automatic 30-Day extension from the appraisal expiration date for delays such as bankruptcy, court delays or delays outside of the mortgagee’s control.
- The Appraiser must review property tax records for the Property to determine the amount outstanding and the terms of the Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) obligation:
- if the Mortgagee notifies the Appraiser that the subject Property will remain subject to a PACE obligation,
- when the Appraiser observes that the property taxes for the subject Property are higher than average for the neighborhood and type of dwelling, or
- when the Appraiser observes energy-related building components or equipment or is aware of other PACE-allowed improvements during the inspection process.
- The Appraiser must report the outstanding amount of the PACE obligation for the subject Property and provide a brief explanation of the terms.
- Where energy and other PACE-allowed improvements have been made to the Property through a PACE program, the Appraiser must analyze and report the impact on value of the Property, whether positive or negative, of the PACE-related improvements and any additional obligation (i.e., the PACE special assessment).
After determining the property’s appraised value, the mortgagee’s authorized employees must access the CAFMV link in FHA Connection to determine a property’s CAFMV.
To access FHA Connection go to: https://entp.hud.gov/clas/index.cfm
Additional questions may be directed to the HUD National Servicing Center at (877) 622-8525
For additional information see:
- HUD’s standard on Claims Without Conveyance of Title (CWCOT) including property valuation and CAFMV located in Handbook 4000.1 Section III.A.2.p.iii.(A) and (B)
- FHA CWCOT appraisal requirements, located in Handbook 4000.1 Section II.D.12.e.iii.(H)
- Handbook 4000.1 is located at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh
- Mortgagee Letter 2017-06 at https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/letters/mortgagee