Can an FHA Mortgagee acting as a sponsored TPO close the loan and have the HUD Mortgage Insurance Certificate (MIC ) issued in its name?

Yes.  An FHA-approved Mortgagee acting as a sponsored Third Party Originator (TPO) is permitted to purchase or hold FHA-insured Mortgages and close Mortgages in their own name.
For additional information see Handbook 4000.1 I.A.5.a.v at:


All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-05124