How do I make my rental property available for Section 8 tenants?

People who receive Section 8 vouchers find their own rental housing and use the vouchers they receive from their housing agency to help pay the rent. The voucher allows the Federal Government to pay a specific portion of the total rental amount.

If you wish to rent to Section 8 voucher holders, you should inform the local Public Housing Agency of the availability of your property and also indicate in your advertising that you welcome Section 8 voucher holders.

For more information you may contact the public housing agency having jurisdiction in the area of your property or visit the referenced web site at

To locate Public Housing Agencies in your area, visit the following web site or call the Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Customer Service Center at 1-800-955-2232.

For information about HUD's multifamily programs go to the following HUD website at or call the Multifamily Housing Clearinghouse at 1-800-685-8470. The line is staffed Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-04939