The Mortgagee must use a traditional credit report. A Tri-Merged Credit Report (TRMCR) must be obtained from an independent consumer reporting agency. If a traditional credit report is not available or the traditional credit report is insufficient, the Feedback Certificate will show a Refer recommendation, and the Mortgagee must manually underwrite the mortgage.
Credit reports must contain all information from at least two credit repositories pertaining to credit, residence history, and public records information; be in an easy to read and understandable format; and not require code translations. The credit report may not contain whiteouts, erasures, or alterations. The Mortgagee must retain copies of all credit reports.
The credit report must include:
- the name of the Mortgagee ordering the report;
- the name, address, and telephone number of the consumer reporting agency;
- the name and Social Security Number (SSN) of each Borrower; and
- the primary repository from which any particular information was pulled, for each account listed.
A truncated SSN is acceptable provided that the mortgage application captures the full nine-digit SSN.
The credit report must also include:
- all inquiries made within the last 90 days;
- all credit and legal information not considered obsolete under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), including information for the last seven years, which consumer reporting agencies have reported as verified and currently accurate, regarding:
- tax liens; and
- for each Borrower debt listed:
- the date the account was opened;
- high credit amount;
- required monthly payment amount;
- unpaid balance; and
- payment history.
The Mortgagee must obtain an updated credit report and rescore the mortgage through TOTAL Mortgage Scorecard if the underwriter identifies inconsistencies between any information in the mortgage file and the original credit report.
For additional information, see Handbook 4000.1, Section II.A.4.b.ii. available at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh