How do I file a complaint against my public housing agency or landlord who receives rent subsidy from HUD?

If you currently have a Housing Choice Voucher (formerly a Section 8 housing voucher) and have a complaint about your landlord or your housing unit, you should contact your Public Housing Authority (PHA) to help resolve your complaint. 

If you have contacted your PHA and it has been unable to resolve your concerns or if you have a complaint about your PHA, contact the Public and Indian Housing Information Center at 1-800-955-2232 or visit the following HUD website:   

If you need information or have questions about subsidized apartments for low income families in your area, including rent calculations or a complaint about a landlord who is receiving a subsidy for your rent payment (also known as Multifamily Housing), please contact the Multifamily Housing Clearinghouse at 1-800-685-8470 (1-800-MULTI-70). The line is staffed Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.   You may also visit the following HUD website:

Your rights as a renter or tenant will be governed by the laws in your State.  For information on the laws in your State, go to:

You may also wish to contact a HUD approved housing counseling agency in your area for unbiased counseling on your particular situation. 


All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-04819