Can a Servicemember request their FHA-insured mortgage be transferred to Section 222?

If the original Mortgage is insured under another section of the National Housing Act, the servicemember may request to transfer the insured Mortgage to Section 222.
A servicemember requesting transfer of an insured Mortgage to Section 222 must provide the Mortgagee with the original and two copies of a written certification of a servicemember’s eligibility, issued by the servicemember’s commanding or personnel officer.
If in agreement with the transfer, the Mortgagee must forward these copies with a letter requesting transfer of the Mortgage to the following address:
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Insurance Operations Division
Attention: Systems Management Branch
451 7th Street S.W.
Washington, DC 20410
The Mortgagee must pay Mortgage Insurance Premium (MIP) until notified by the FHA Comptroller that the request to transfer has been completed.
For policy information see Handbook 4000.1 III.A.3.f.ii. at

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-04704