For a Section 248 Mortgage on Indian Land, the Mortgagee must have a face-to-face interview with the Borrower or make a reasonable effort to arrange a face-to-face interview no later than the 61st Day of delinquency, unless:
- the Borrower does not live in the mortgaged Property;
- the Borrower has clearly indicated that they will not cooperate with a face-to-face interview; or
- the Borrower’s payment is current due to an agreed-upon repayment plan or forbearance Plan.
In addition to the reasonable effort standards for all FHA-insured Mortgages, the Mortgagee must make at least one telephone call to the Borrower to arrange a face-to-face interview.
The Mortgagee must inform the Borrower of the following:
- that HUD will make information regarding the status and payment history of the Borrower’s Mortgage available to local credit bureaus and prospective creditors;
- other available mortgage assistance, if any; and
- the names and contact information of HUD officials to whom further communications may be addressed.
Additional questions may be directed to the HUD National Servicing Center at (877) 622-8525.
For policy information see Handbook 4000.1 III.A.3.e. at https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh