Can buyers select their own settlement agent when purchasing a HUD-owned property?

Yes, a buyer of HUD-owned properties must select a Closing Agent that meets HUD’s Closing Agent Requirements.

For additional questions, please contact the Asset Manager with jurisdiction over the property. To locate contact information, go to the HUD Homestore website at:

• Click on the appropriate state and locate the property

• Click on the Property Case Number

• Select the Agent Info Tab

See policy in Handbook 4000.1 Section IV.B.2.k. at:

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-04198