New construction must meet or exceed the higher of:
• the latest energy code standard that has been adopted by HUD through a Federal Register notice; or
• the applicable International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) year used by the state or local building code.
For additional information see:
• Handbook 4000.1 Sections II.A.5.d.ix and II.A.8.a.iii.(B) available at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh
• HUD’s energy standards are available at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/economic_development/eegb/standards
• More information on the IECC can be obtained from the Department of Energy at: https://www.energycodes.gov/