What Model Energy Code must new construction comply with for an FHA-insured mortgage?

New construction must meet or exceed the higher of:

•             the latest energy code standard that has been adopted by HUD through a Federal Register notice; or

•             the applicable International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) year used by the state or local building code.

For additional information see:

•             Handbook 4000.1 II.A.5.d.ix and II.A.8.a.iii(B) available at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh

•             HUD’s energy standards are available at:  https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/economic_development/eegb/standards

•             More information on the IECC can be obtained from the Department of Energy at:   https://www.energycodes.gov/ 

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-04149