The Appraiser must include an absorption rate analysis, and at least two comparable sales that closed within 90 Days prior to the effective date of the appraisal. If the Appraiser cannot comply with this requirement due to the lack of market data, a detailed explanation is required.
The Appraiser must include a minimum of two active listings or pending sales on the appraisal grid (in addition to at least three recently settled sales). Effective April 26, 2021 FHA issued a temporary partial waiver of the Handbook 4000.1 requirement in Section II.D.4.c.iii(F)(2) that the appraiser must include, analyze, and report a minimum of two active listings or pending sales on the appraisal grid. This temporary partial waiver of established policy will help ensure the continued availability of affordable housing in these markets. This temporary partial waiver is effective for the 12-month period between April 26, 2021, and April 26, 2022.
For active listings or pending sales, the Appraiser must:
- ensure they are market tested and have reasonable market exposure to avoid the use of overpriced properties as comparable properties;
- use the actual contract purchase price, or, when not available, adjust comparable properties to reflect listing- to-sale price ratios;
- include the original list price, any revised list prices, and calculate the total Days on Market (DOM). The Appraiser must provide an explanation for the DOM that does not approximate periods reported in the “Neighborhood” section of the appraisal reporting form;
- reconcile the Adjusted Values of active listings or pending sales with the Adjusted Values of the settled sales provided; and
- if the Adjusted Values of the settled comparable properties are higher than the Adjusted Values of the active listings or pending sales, determine if a Market Condition Adjustment is appropriate.
For additional information, see:
Handbook 4000.1 II.D.4.c.iii(F)(2): https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh
FHA INFO #21-25: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/FHA_info_messages
Handbook Waiver: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administrHUDClips Waiversation/hudclips/waivers/