Examples include, but are not limited to the following:
- New Carpet;
- Replacement of cabinets;
- Replacement of fixtures;
- Replacement of doors; or
- Replacement of windows.
For case numbers assigned October 15, 2019 and after, additional information regarding Non-Gut Rehabilitation Projects, please refer to: Handbook 4000.1, Section II.C.2.d.ii.(B). available at:
For case numbers assigned prior to October 15, 2019, information is available in:
- Mortgagee Letter (ML) 2011-22 Condominium Approval Process for Single Family Housing – Consolidation and Update of Approval Requirements and the attached Condominium Project Approval and Processing Guide provides the requirements and procedures for obtaining FHA condominium project approval.
- ML 2012-18 Temporary Approval Provisions for FHA Condominium Project Approval provides temporary condominium project approval guideline changes to address current housing market conditions.
- ML 2015-27 Additional Temporary Approval Provisions for FHA Condominium Project Approval
- ML 2016-15 FHA Condominium Project Approval – Owner Occupancy Requirements modifies the Condominium Project Approval and Processing Guide, attachment to ML 2011-22, in order to implement the Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) requirements and establish the required owner-occupancy percentage that must be met for purposes of FHA project approval.
Note: The Temporary Provisions in ML 12-18 and ML 15-27, as modified by ML 2016-15, are effective until HUD publishes and implements the Final Rule of Condominium Project Approval through publication of the Condominium Project Approval Section of HUD Handbook 4000.1, as extended by ML 2017-13. Mortgagee Letters are available at:
For more information regarding condominium projects refer to:
- The FHA Condominium Mortgage Insurance page at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/ins/sfh_ins_condominiums
- To search for FHA-approved condominiums please visit: https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/condlook.cfm