Nonprofit organizations, including Nonprofit Instrumentalities of Government that have been approved by HUD to participate in FHA nonprofit programs, are eligible to purchase HUD Real Estate Owned (REO) Properties.
Nonprofits are included in the definition of Owner-Occupant Buyers and may purchase Properties during the same periods as Owner-Occupant Buyers.
For Direct Sales, Nonprofits may purchase HUD REO Properties at the following discounts on the list price:
- 30 percent off the list price for uninsured Properties located within a Revitalization Area;
- 10 percent off the list price for insured or uninsured Properties located outside of a Revitalization Area;
- 10 percent off the list price for insured Properties located within a Revitalization Area; and
- 15 percent off the list price for insured or uninsured Properties located outside of a Revitalization Area and insured Properties located in a Revitalization Area when:
- the Asset Manager (AM) has accepted five or more bids from the Governmental Entity or HUD-approved Nonprofit within a 15-business day period;
- and the sales are closed in a single transaction.
Nonprofits must submit bids for HUD REO Properties electronically through HUDHomestore.
In order to submit bids through HUDHomestore, Nonprofits must have applied for and been issued a Name and Address Identification Number (NAID) and be registered on HUDHomestore or successor site.
Using Google Chrome is strongly recommended when accessing the NAID Application Portal.
For guides and short videos on Registering as a Bidder, and, Submitting a Bid, go to https://www.hudhomestore.com/ListingSiteFAQ.htm
The applicant may send a request for additional information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the FHA Resource Center at 1-800-225-5342.
For policy information related to:
Obtaining approval to participate in FHA’s Single Family nonprofit programs see Handbook 4000.1 I.B.4.
Bidding on HUD REO Properties see Handbook 4000.1 IV.B.2.d.iv and IV.B.2.g.
Handbook 4000.1 is available at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh