Can I rent or "rent-to-own" a HUD home?

HUD does not have a rent-to-own program and does not generally rent homes. HUD homes are sold through the regular HUD real estate owned (REO) process to persons and families interested in buying a home.

For additional information on how to search the HUD Homes website (including saving searches and email alerts) go to the HUD Homestore at  and click "Help" on the gray bar in the top right corner of the page. On this page you will find short videos, guides and additional FAQs.

For more information on Renting a Home or Apartment please visit:

HUD has an 'occupied conveyance' program where a person currently renting a property with an FHA-insured mortgage, that is being foreclosed, may continue to rent the property after foreclosure for a short period of time, under certain circumstances.

Requests for occupied conveyance when a home is being conveyed to HUD are handled by the HUD Mortgagee Compliance Manager (MCM).

For additional information regarding occupied conveyance contact the National Servicing Center by email at 

HQ Policy Determination

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-03355