How do I obtain copies of documents related to my FHA insured loan?

Your first step should be to contact your lender who should have a complete file of all documents associated with your loan. Files that may be in HUD’s possession do not contain all of the documents. If you are unable to obtain copies from your lender, you may request copies from HUD under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

All FOIA requests must be done in writing or through HUD’s FOIA website at where additional information concerning the Act can also be found.

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-02955