Must a DE underwriter be located in the Mortgagee's home or branch office?

A Direct Endorsement (DE) Mortgagee may perform underwriting functions at its home or branch office locations, provided the office has all licenses, registrations, or approvals required for the types of Mortgagee function(s) or activity(s) performed by such office for the jurisdiction in which that office is located.
For additional information see Handbook 4000.1  at:


All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-02814