How can a homebuyer get downpayment or closing cost assistance?

HUD has no direct grant programs for downpayment or closing cost assistance. However, HUD does provide funding to state and local governments for this purpose. To find out what programs you may qualify for, please contact your city, county or state government.
You may wish to visit the following web site to find local housing programs in your state or local area:
You can also find state and local listings in the government, or blue pages of your local telephone directory.

You may also wish to contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency in your area for unbiased counseling on your particular situation.
HQ Policy Determination

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-02631