How do I lodge a complaint about the condition of my new home or my builder?

If you have a complaint about the construction of your new home, you should contact your builder and/or the warranty company (if any) to resolve it. You should also contact your lender who has a responsibility to help you resolve issues related to new construction. Your correspondence should be in writing and you should keep records regarding your attempts to resolve the issue. If the lender is unable to resolve the matter, the lender should refer the complaint to HUD for further processing and so advise you. Any questions related to this issue should be addressed with your FHA lender.

Handbook 4070.1

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-02476