A case number will not be assigned prior to a condominium project receiving approval through either the HUD Review and Approval Process (HRAP), or Direct Endorsement Lender Review and Approval Process (DELRAP).
Effective October 15, 2019, if the Unit is being processed as a Single-Unit Approval the case number will not be assigned prior to the jurisdictional HOC’s receipt and acceptance of the required information that HUD requires or documents that contain the same information on the Mortgagee’s letterhead.
If the Condominium Project is listed in the Condo Look-up but have one of the following “Status” types, they are currently not FHA-approved and can be processed under Single-Unit Approval option:
- FHA/HUD Real Estate Owned (REO) properties;
- FHA-to-FHA streamline refinance transactions; or
- Site condominiums.
For case numbers assigned October 15, 2019 and after, additional information can be located in:
- Handbook 4000.1, Section II.A.8.p. and II.C. available at:
- Mortgagee Letter 2019-13 is available at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/letters/mortgagee
- Mortgagee Letter (ML) 2011-22 Condominium Approval Process for Single Family Housing – Consolidation and Update of Approval Requirements and the attached Condominium Project Approval and Processing Guide provides the requirements and procedures for obtaining FHA condominium project approval.
- ML 2012-18 Temporary Approval Provisions for FHA Condominium Project Approval provides temporary condominium project approval guideline changes to address current housing market conditions.
- ML 2015-27 Additional Temporary Approval Provisions for FHA Condominium Project Approval
- ML 2016-15 FHA Condominium Project Approval – Owner Occupancy Requirements modifies the Condominium Project Approval and Processing Guide, attachment to ML 2011-22, in order to implement the Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) requirements and establish the required owner-occupancy percentage that must be met for purposes of FHA project approval.
Note: The Temporary Provisions in ML 12-18 and ML 15-27, as modified by ML 2016-15, are effective until HUD publishes and implements the Final Rule of Condominium Project Approval through publication of the Condominium Project Approval Section of HUD Handbook 4000.1, as extended by ML 2017-13. Mortgagee Letters are available at:
For additional information regarding condominium projects refer to:
- The FHA Condominium Mortgage Insurance page at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/ins/sfh_ins_condominiums
- All condominium projects that have been approved are listed in FHA Connection and the Condo Look-up webpage located at: https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/condlook.cfm