Under the HUD Review and Approval Process (HRAP) condominium project review process, requests are processed by the jurisdictional FHA Homeownership Center (HOC) based on the condominium location. HRAP requests meeting the condominium project approval requirements may be submitted to the HOC for review via firstname.lastname@example.org. HUD does not charge a fee for the review of a condo project approval request.
“Initial” and “Reconsideration” processing times are 30 calendar days from package receipt date, subject to available resources and volume of project approval submissions.
Applications may be submitted by a:
- Condominium Association,
- Management Company;
- Project Consultant; or
- Attorney acting as agent for the developer/builder, Condominium Association, or management company.
FHA will not pay any fees associated with the Condominium Project Approval process.
For case numbers assigned October 15, 2019 and after, additional information regarding condominium project approval and submission can be located in Handbook 4000.1, Section II.C.2. and II.C.3. available at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh
For case numbers assigned prior to October 15, 2019, information is available in:
- Mortgagee Letter (ML) 2011-22 Condominium Approval Process for Single Family Housing – Consolidation and Update of Approval Requirements and the attached Condominium Project Approval and Processing Guide provides the requirements and procedures for obtaining FHA condominium project approval.
- ML 2012-18 Temporary Approval Provisions for FHA Condominium Project Approval provides temporary condominium project approval guideline changes to address current housing market conditions.
- ML 2015-27 Additional Temporary Approval Provisions for FHA Condominium Project Approval
- ML 2016-15 FHA Condominium Project Approval – Owner Occupancy Requirements modifies the Condominium Project Approval and Processing Guide, attachment to ML 2011-22, in order to implement the Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) requirements and establish the required owner-occupancy percentage that must be met for purposes of FHA project approval.
Note: The Temporary Provisions in ML 12-18 and ML 15-27, as modified by ML 2016-15, are effective until HUD publishes and implements the Final Rule of Condominium Project Approval through publication of the Condominium Project Approval Section of HUD Handbook 4000.1, as extended by ML 2017-13.Mortgagee Letters are available at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/letters/mortgagee
For more information regarding condominium projects refer to the FHA Condominium Mortgage Insurance page at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/ins/sfh_ins_condominiums