What are the requirements to be placed on the FHA 203(k) Consultant Roster?

To become an approved 203(k) Consultant, the prospective Consultant must be able to perform all duties outlined in Handbook 4000.1 Section II.A.9 and fully understand the requirements of the 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance Program.
 The prospective Consultant must meet the qualifications for one or more of the following:

  • be a state-licensed architect;
  • be a state-licensed engineer;
  • have at least three years of experience as a remodeling contractor or general contractor; or
  • have at least three years of experience as a home inspector.  

The prospective Consultant must not be listed on:

  • the General Services Administration’s (GSA) System for Award Management (SAM);
  • HUD’s Limited Denial of Participation (LDP) List; or
  • HUD’s Credit Alert Verification Reporting System (CAIVRS).  

 The prospective Consultant must

  • Submit a narrative demonstrating they fully understand the requirements of HUD’s 203(k) Program, and describing their ability to:
    • conduct Feasibility Studies;
    • review or prepare architectural exhibits;
    • prepare a Work Write-Up and Cost Estimate;
    • complete Draw Request Inspections; and
    • prepare Change Order requests.
  • Indicate the states in which they will be doing business and provide Consultant Eligibility Requirement documentation for each state. If the prospective Consultant will be doing business in more than one state, the Consultant must identify the state in which the Consultant will perform the majority of their business.
  • Submit a 203(k) Consultant Roster Certification on their letterhead. 
  • The Certification document is available at https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/model_documents  
  •  State License Requirements
  • State-Licensed Architect or State-Licensed Engineer– The prospective Consultant must submit proof of current license.
  • Home Inspector, Remodeling or General Contractor– The prospective Consultant must submit:
    • proof of current license if the applicant is located in a state, county, or other local jurisdiction that requires the licensing of home inspectors or contractors to perform the duties of a 203(k) Consultant; or
    • if a current license is not required, a narrative description of their experience.

The application documents must be submitted to the Processing and Underwriting Director of the jurisdictional Homeownership Center (HOC), based upon the state where the Consultant will perform a majority of their business.
See the following website to determine the jurisdictional HOC:  https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/sfhhocs

For additional information see:

FHA's How To Become An Approved 203(k) Consultant web page at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/203k/203khow
203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance web page at:  https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/203k 
Handbook 4000.1 I.B.2.b.i. at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-02044