How does an FHA approved lender get its legal name changed in FHA's records?

To change its legal name, a lender must submit the following to the Lender Approval and Recertification Division:

(1) Acceptable documentation showing the legal name change, such as the amendment to its articles of incorporation, resolution by the mortgagee's Board of Directors, or charter amendment for a supervised institution; and

(2) When required by the State, evidence that the name change has been accepted by the State in which the home office is located

(3) The effective date of the name change, and

(4) The 10 digit FHA ID number of its home office

(5) Updated State license

The request must be submitted through the Lender Electronic Assessment Portal (LEAP).

The LEAP User Manual is available at under the LEAP Information link in the Approvals & Renewals section. 

HQ Policy Determination

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-01998