Who can I contact about work underway in my community with HUD block grant funds?

You should contact your local government's housing or community development agency about work underway or eligibility for particular programs, including available housing units.  This information is listed at the website below:

Communities that receive block grant funds from HUD must develop and follow a detailed plan that provides for and encourages local citizen participation. This process emphasizes participation by persons of low or moderate income, particularly residents of predominantly low- and moderate-income neighborhoods, slum or blighted areas, and areas in which the community proposes to use block grant funds. The plan must provide citizens with the following: reasonable and timely access to local meetings; an opportunity to review proposed activities and program performance; provide for timely written answers to written complaints and grievances; and identify how the needs of non-English speaking residents will be met in the case of public hearings where a significant number of non-English speaking residents can be reasonably expected to participate.

For more information about HUD community block grant funds, visit the following HUD Office of Community Planning and Development (CPD) website:

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-01870