How can I file a Complaint against a Manufactured Housing Company?

HUD regulates the construction of certain factory built homes, called manufactured homes. We used to call them mobile homes. Be sure to read our Manufactured Home Questions and Answers at:

If you have a problem with your manufactured home, the first thing you should do is contact the business who sold you the home or the manufacturer that produced the home, to try to resolve the problem. If that fails, you can file a complaint.

Include a description of the problem, along with copies of any correspondence or contacts with the retailer and the manufacturer to resolve the problem.

Also include:

Your name, address and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day;
The name of the manufacturer;
The serial number and model number of your home;
The label number (the red tag on the back of the home);
The date purchased; and
The name of the business who sold you the home.

Send your complaint to your State Administrative Agency or, if your state doesn’t have such an agency, send it to:

Manufactured Housing and Standards Division Office of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Department of Housing and Urban Development

451 7th St. SW, Room 9170 Washington, D.C. 20410-8000

If you have questions, call toll free 1-800-927-2891.

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-01574