Who do I contact if I have title problems when closing on a HUD Home?

To report and resolve title issues which may be preventing the closing of a HUD Real Estate Owned (REO) property transaction, please contact the Asset Manager (AM) with jurisdiction over the property.  To locate contact information for the Asset Manager please visit the HUD Homestore website at https://www.hudhomestore.com/ and click “Help” in the gray tool bar.
HUD, at its discretion, may cancel a sales contract and may return all or a portion of a buyer’s earnest money deposit if HUD is unable or unwilling to remove valid objections to the title prior to closing.

For policy information see Handbook 4000.1 Section IV.B.2.f.ix. at https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-01513