How can I file a housing discrimination complaint?

Housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability is illegal by federal law. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint.

You can file a complaint immediately by using the online form provided at:

You can also print out the online form, complete it, and mail it to:

Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Department of Housing and Urban Development, Room 5204
451 Seventh St. SW
Washington, DC 20410

OR you may call 1-800-669-9777 (or 1-800-877-8339 for TTY).

You can also email

All policy information contained in this knowledge base article is based upon the referenced HUD policy document. Any lending or insuring decisions should adhere to the specific information contained in that underlying policy document.

Topic Number: KA-01431